Thursday 9 May 2013

Introducing Simon Thomas, writer of 'Stuck in a book' blog

Simon Thomas writes the book blog Stuck in a book and will be talking about blogging with fellow veteran blogger Elanine Simpson-Long of Random Jottings on Saturday afternoon at the White Horse pub.

Thanks to Simon for taking part in this mini interview for the blog!

Tell us a bit about yourself for the readers who haven’t come across you before…

I always describe myself as the only Christian vegetarian twin I know - that covers three pretty important bases for me! I live in Oxford, where I'm finishing off a DPhil in 20th-century English literature - which brings us, of course, to books and my blog Stuck-in-a-Book. Although I read quite a range of things, the focus is definitely on pre-1960s fiction, with an especial fondness for anything about spinsters, for some reason!

What made you start writing your blog?

I started in April 2007 when I should have been revising for the undergraduate finals. It was basically a revision-avoidance technique! I knew a few other bloggers (including Elaine of Random Jottings) who were part of an online book group I'd been in for three years at that point - and I thought, if other people are enjoying it so much, then I'd join in too.

Which book blogs do you regularly read?

At least half the time I spend on the internet is spent reading book blogs, so it's difficult to answer this question comprehensively!  So instead, I'll just pick three - Claire, The Captive Reader at thecaptivereader.wordpress.com, Rachel, Book Snob at bookssnob.wordpress.com, and Harriet, Harriet Devine's Blog at harrietdevine.typepad.com. Although I read blogs from around the world, I have to admit that the bloggers I read tend to be anglophiles.

Do you attend a lot of literature festivals, and if so do you have a favourite?

No, is the short answer to this! Living in Oxford, I have been to various events over the years, but that's the only experience I've had of literature festivals. A highlight of that would be seeing P.D. James and Jill Paton-Walsh discussing 'Agatha Christie vs. Dorothy L. Sayers'. (In case you're wondering, I'd choose Agatha every single time.)

The festival’s theme is ‘a sense of place’ – have you read any novels which have given you a real feeling of a place? Have you felt the urge to visit somewhere after reading about it?

I often struggle to get a sense of place from novels, which makes the exceptions even more resonant in my mind.  It's seemingly only cold locations which come across strongly to me, so I'd have to choose the snow-filled landscape of Stef Penney's 'The Tenderness of Wolves', and the icy lake of Marilynne Robinson's 'Housekeeping'. Neither has made me desperate to visit the places they're set, though - I'm much more drawn to the Swedish and Finnish settings of the wonderful novels and short stories Tove Jansson (best known for the Moomins) wrote for adults. 'The Summer Book', especially, makes me keen to hop on a boat and enjoy the Scandinavian islands. One day!

Where is your favourite place?

I love the countryside, and I love interesting houses, so I think my favourite place in the world is Blackwell House, overlooking Lake Windermere in the Lake District. It's a stunningly beautiful arts & crafts house, mostly panelled in dark wood, except one room - the one which overlooks the lake - which is entirely white. I've been three times, always on incredibly sunny days, and the impact of that room after the darkness of the other rooms is quite stupendous. 

Aside from attending the book festival, what are you looking forward to seeing and doing when you’re in town?

I have been to Felixstowe before, because my grandparents lived in Suffolk, and I remember there being a brilliant secondhand bookshop. My fingers are crossed that it is still there, and I'll be leaving room in my suitcase on the offchance!  Aside from that, I rarely get to see the sea, so that will be lovely.

Finally, what book are you stuck into at the moment?

I always have a few books on the go at once, so prepare yourself for a list! I'm reading 'A Woman of My Age' by Nina Bawden, 'Oxford' by Edward Thomas, 'A Reader on Reading' by Alberto Manguel, 'The Egg and I' by Betty Macdonald, 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett, and 'That Secret City: Visions of Oxford' by John Elinger and Katherine Shock.  That's actually quite restrained for me, believe it or not!

Simon and Elanie will be speaking at the White Horse pub between 3 and 4 pm on Saturday 15th June.

Tickets for the event cost £5 and can be purchased here

Simon's blog can be found at stuck-in-a-book.blogspot.com



No comments:

Post a Comment